Here are 250 things about me to help you get to know me. All of three were done as Myspace blogs. They’re good exercises to help you get to know yourself. Try it.
100 Things About Me
1. I believe in God
2. I don’t like my job, and am in process of getting another. (I have since gotten one I like.)
3. I love my son Alexander.
4. I have a hard time saying “I love you.”
5. When I do say “I love you” I really mean it.
6. I’m introverted, but I crave communication.
7. I get lonely.
8. I don’t like crowds, unless I have a nametag on, and feel at least somewhat in authority.
9. I like colors.
10. I think music is magical.
11. I think there is beauty in everyone and everything, and I hate that the media tries to shape how we perceive beauty.
12. I like to find the patterns in things.
13. I like to do jigsaw puzzles.
14. I like to fly kites, but I rarely do it.
15. Gerard Manley Hopkins is my favorite poet.
16. I liked school.
17. I love to dream.
18. My ideal job would be a concept designer with Walt Disney Imagineering, sitting with blank pieces of paper and coming up with ideas for new rides and attractions and restaurants, etc.
19. I want to lose weight.
20. I like food.
21. I like to exercise, but only when it’s a part of an activity (don’t like going to a gym).
22. I saw a manatee in the wild a couple of weeks ago in a place I didn’t expect and thought it was so cool.
23. I miss California, but probably wouldn’t like it if I lived there again.
24. I like to live in cities.
25. I like small cars.
26. I like Tinkerbell, because she’s pretty and feisty.
27. I think I have a good fashion sense, but I think I ignore it for myself.
28. I like to shop as a recreation, but not when I have to shop.
29. I like to try to find just the right kind of presents for people.
30. I think everyone should be given flowers for no reason at all.
31. I don’t like to feel obligated to do nice things, and thus I dislike Hallmark type holidays like Valentine’s Day, etc.
32. I cried when I saw Curly Sue in the theater.
33. I’m intrigued by Navajo cosmology and mythology.
34. I want to read more Kierkegaard.
35. I like to write letters, but I don’t do it often enough.
36. I don’t have the patience to practice a musical instrument enough to become good at it, but I’ve played piano, clarinet, trumpet, and guitar.
37. I have a degree in Journalism and Mass Communications.
38. I almost minored in Pop Culture, but it would have taken another semester just to get 1 class I needed, so I changed that to English Writing.
39. I believe in fairies. I do. I do.
40. I wish the world was based on a currency of respect rather than money.
41. I like animals, but I have no pets.
42. I’m happy living in apartments so I don’t have to worry about mowing lawns, etc.
43. I don’t like shaving.
44. I like to listen to the ocean and look toward the horizon.
45. I like to sit in a mall or theme park and watch people.
46. Sometimes I make fun of them. But not so they can hear.
47. I miss a lot of my friends, and wish that we weren’t scattered all over the world.
48. When I was young, I wanted to be a nuclear physicist, just because it sounded like a challenge.
49. I dislike math.
50. I don’t like taking medicine.
51. I don’t have roots.
52. I don’t like being on camera.
53. I like video games.
54. I sometimes enjoy going to movies alone.
55. I do not regret the things I’ve done, but those I did not do.
56. That’s only partly true. I don’t really regret any decisions I’ve made because they’ve made me who I am and I’ve learned from all of it. I mustn’t dwell. Not on Rex Manning Day.
57. I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
58. I think I’m a little afraid of getting old.
59. I think life is short.
60. I tend to be cynical, but I’m hopeful too.
61. I have a dry sense of humor, but sometimes I say the funniest things.
62. I think I’m good at a lot of things, but not great at any one thing.
63. I like to read. I wish I could read more than I do.
64. When I do read, I read voraciously.
65. My favorite word is serendipity.
66. I like silly high school romantic comedies.
67. I wish I was still in touch with people from elementary school.
68. I don’t talk to anyone from high school either.
69. I’ve described myself as a Christian Existenial Taoist. To some they seem at odds, but I don’t think they are.
70. I can overthink things.
71. I think even though we live in a free country and enjoy a lot of freedom, we’re not really free.
72. I’m broken, but I’ve built walls.
73. I identify with the myth of Sisyphus, and consider it a metaphor for life.
74. I’m not good at keeping journals. I just don’t write consistently in them.
75. I want to see more of the world.
76. I want to meet more people.
77. I can be pretty shy.
78. I’d like to rent a motorhome and drive across the country stopping at roadside attractions.
79. I’d like to be on The Amazing Race.
80. I don’t dance well (I think because of that overthinking thing, coupled with the introvert/shy thing).
81. My singing voice isn’t great either.
82. I think I have a lot of raw potential, but not a lot of honed talents.
83. I talk to God, and I believe he talks to me.
84. Something attracts me to aspects of counter-culture, but I don’t get involved in anything like that.
85. Sometimes I just feel like an observer. I guess I’m too much the wallflower.
86. I’m more of a tactile learner.
87. Sometimes I get the urge to run away, and join the crew of a sailboat going through the Caribbean.
88. I agree with the line from Moulin Rouge – the greatest thing is to love and be loved in return.
89. I keep my hair short because when it gets long, it gets unruly.
90. I think compromise is very important.
91. But so is sacrifice.
92. Communication is the key.
93. I’m not a great communicator. I like to communicate textually because it lets me think about it. And edit.
94. I’m pretty good about keeping my temper.
95. I get frustrated more than I get angry.
96. I like to be able to fix things.
97. I’m not so good at fixing them though.
98. There are lots of things that I’d like to experience.
99. I value my friends, and I enjoy being able to be theirs.
100. This list was hard to write.
100 More Things About Me
Current mood: mellow
These are good exercises to help me get to know myself better.
1. I love the ocean.
2. I love to look out toward the horizon and think about what’s just beyond.
3. I think sunsets are always more enjoyable when seen with someone else.
4. I listen to Christmas music all year long. I’m listening to it now.
5. I think God has something special in store for me.
6. It has taken me a while to figure that out, even though people have told me that all along.
7. I don’t think I believe in true love anymore.
8. But God surprises me sometimes, so maybe I’m wrong and have just been looking in the wrong places.
9. Dating people at work is bad.
10. Most of all, I just want to be inspired.
11. I find inspiration all around me. But usually in other people.
12. I like kung fu movies, old and new. (I saw Hero last night.)
13. I once helped crew a sailboat. We won a 13 race regatta. That was a ton of fun.
14. I wish I fished more.
15. And played golf more.
16. I want to experience nature more.
17. I want to see the Himalayas.
18. And Ayers Rock.
19. And Mauna Loa.
20. And Rapa Nui.
21. And the pyramids of Egypt.
22. And Mayan pyramids.
23. And Machu Pichu.
24. I don’t know that I would enjoy going on a cruise. Depends who I’m with and what the itinerary is. A Mediterranean cruise would be good.
25. I think a cruise would be better on a big sailing ship.
26. I don’t even have my passport.
27. The only time I’ve been outside the country has been to Canada (Kamloops, British Columbia) and Jamaica.
28. I may have been to Mexico when very young, but I don’t remember it.
29. Sometimes I’ve thought the ideal job would be to be a beach bum, and sell puka shell necklaces to tourists.
30. I’d like to learn to surf.
31. My son looks like me, but he’s much cuter.
32. I’m looking forward to watching him grow up slowly.
33. I’m proud of him already. He’s so smart and talented.
34. I used to dream about a future wife – I’d see her in my dreams, but could never see what she looked like. Dreams are a wish your heart makes when you’re fast asleep. I hope that dream wife is still out there somewhere.
35. I’m a good listener.
36. That makes me gravitate towards talkative people.
37. But it’s good to sit in comfortable silences with someone else.
38. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been horseback riding.
39. It’s been a long time since I’ve done a lot of that kind of thing.
40. But I go to theme parks all the time.
41. I love to take my son to the parks, but our favorite is Wannado City, a role playing park where kids can do what they wannado. Alexander gets to be a firefighter, a clown, be in a play (he’s been Peter Pan 3 times, and the crocodile once), etc., etc.
42. I’m looking forward to the new Harry Potter book.
43. Patience is usually a virtue, but it’d be nice if people would understand that just because I’m patient, doesn’t mean that they should take their time. Waiting is still waiting.
44. Jesus was 33 when he started his ministry. I’m only 30, so I think it’s okay that I haven’t decided what I want to do with my life.
45. I used to have a tremendous memory. I forget more things now. I think the brain can only make so many connections.
46. I don’t like Nascar. Drive fast, turn left doesn’t really sound fun. Street races are much better.
47. I haven’t been camping in a long time. When I was a kid, I used to go all the time.
48. We used to fish for trout. Fishing in a stream is much better than lake fishing, I think – you can see the fish – you just have to convince them to take the bait.
49. I’ve lived in Florida for about 9 years, but haven’t seen a whole lot of the state, except driving through.
50. I used to hate rollercoasters until I worked at Big Thunder Mountain. Love them now.
51. I don’t like swimming because I have to take off my glasses, and then I can’t see well. Waterparks are worse because of that. L
52. I don’t want to be famous.
53. Being rich would be nice, but really, I’d just like to be able to pay my bills comfortably, and then buy myself some things sometimes.
54. When I was young, I taught my dog Rosie to climb the slide of a ladder and slide down. She thought it was fun.
55. Once, I was moving her food or water dish and found that there was an ant nest underneath. They swarmed and covered me immediately. It looked like I was wearing a pair of pants made out of ants. I had to strip and get hosed off in the back yard.
56. We raised some chickens when I was young. Rosie bit their heads off. They flew upside down, headless, for a few minutes.
57. In high school, I raised a couple of pigs. My brother raised rabbits.
58. I am pretty good at skeet shooting, but haven’t done it since high school.
59. I think it would be fun going back through high school, knowing then what I know now. It would be completely different.
60. College too.
61. I’ve written songs before. I just don’t think they were very good.
62. I’ve pretty much got it all planned out anyway, if any of the powers that be would want to listen to me.
63. I used to watch MTV all the time. Now I hardly ever do.
64. I love Monster House. So much fun.
65. I love Lost. Good good show, borderline obsession. Will go to the Lost convention if it comes to Orlando.
66. I’ve never been to a Rennaisance Festival, but I think they’d be fun.
67. The only time I remember getting lost was at the Pomona fair. I was looking at an exhibit, and my parents kept walking. I turned around and they were gone. A little bit scary.
68. Alexander has not gotten lost, and I hope he never does. He does tend to run ahead of me a lot.
69. Fireworks aren’t very special to me anymore. Thanks, Disney.
70. My brother and I and some friends used to have bottle rocket fights.
71. I know someone who used to smuggle moonshine in a hearse. (He is a mortician.)
72. I’ve thrown up twice from alcohol. Once was because of Aftershock. Nasty stuff and just the smell of it makes me nauseous now. The other time was just stupidity.
73. I know I’m a geek. Don’t really care anymore.
74. In 7th grade at a Christian school, we used to play poker and gamble during lunch. I think we got in trouble for it. Then I think we switched to making our own role-playing games based on Robotech.
75. I used to think that Dungeons and Dragons paraphernalia had real demons inside. It still kinda gives me the willies.
76. I remember a 4th of July, someone blew half a stick of dynamite up down the street from me; I remember a riot of sorts running down my street with a police helicopter chasing them – I think just a party getting broken up, but it was scary. Those are reasons the parents moved us out of LA.
77. I think I was pretty sheltered growing up.
78. I’d like to watch The Wizard of Oz with Pink Floyd playing to see what all the fuss is about.
79. Sometimes I’ll think about the cars I see on the highway, or the people in a crowd, and I’ll have to take a step back as I think about all the billions of people of earth, how they’re all leading different lives, making different choices, etc. I remember thinking about that once and thinking there’s no way to prove that I’m not the only real person in the world and everyone else is just a hallucination or robots or whatever. How do I know I’m not on the Truman show?
80. I don’t usually like my birthdays. I always seem to be disappointed.
81. My favorite birthday thing now is to go to Epcot for the Food and Wine Festival.
82. In college, I went to the Charleston Blues and Heritage Festival, and had a great time. I saw Deadeye Dick, Jackopierce, Little Feat, Bobby Blue Bland and BB King. Lots of fun.
83. My favorite concerts have been in a little tiny club. Dick Dale, King of the Surf Guitar and Father of Heavy Metal was awesome. I’ve seen him 3 times. Southern Culture on the Skids was great too. They throw fried chicken to the audience. And the guys from Gwar are great. I met them and they gave me a pass to their show. It’s a spectacle, and a lot of fun, but a little gross.
84. I don’t like heights, not because I’m afraid of them, but because I’m afraid of being pushed, or tripping, or losing my balance, or having a gust of wind push me over. So long as there’s a rail or something to hold on to, I’m good.
85. I don’t like being up high on ladders. I don’t trust that they’ll support me or be stable enough.
86. I’m not afraid of snakes, but I have a healthy respect of them. I’ve touched them. I don’t need to hold one. They’re not cuddly. (I guess boas are cuddly, but it’s bad if they try to cuddle…)
87. I like creepy movies. I really liked Saw, and Seven. And The Devil’s Advocate. Even Scream and stuff was fun. But Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc. I don’t think are fun.
88. I write haiku poems
They are very fun to write
And sometimes very hard
89. I had a poem published once. But it was in one of those collections where they publish almost anything just to try to get you to buy the book. But I’m in the Library of Congress somewhere.
90. It’s hard for me to think about what my life will be like when I’m old.
91. I don’t wear hats much. I think hats lead to male pattern baldness.
92. I have a farmer’s tan, especially the left arm, because that’s the arm I rest on the window frame of the car when driving.
93. I like to decorate, but what I see in my mind’s eye is very hard to execute (of course, resources are always limited, so that doesn’t help).
94. The first art project I remember doing really well was in 2nd grade. We had to find a picture in a magazine, cut it in half, put it on a piece of paper, and then draw the half that you had cut off. I remember I did an owl, and it was really good.
95. I remember being able to draw maps of the country and states free hand, which was useful in some class projects.
96. The only science fair project I remember doing was about nutrition in fast food. It wasn’t very good.
97. Sometimes I feel like Jennifer Garner in 13 Going on 30, like an insecure 13 year old, fumbling his way through the adult world.
98. My eyes change color depending on what I wear. I thin kI wear a lot of blue because of that.
99. Ronda thinks I wear too much plaid. She calls me Checkers. And I don’t even really like plaid as a rule, but I do own a lot of it. The comfortable shirts I own all seem to be plaid.
100. This list was easier to write, because I’ve been thinking a lot about who I am. But it was hard to keep from repeating myself from the first list.
50 More things about me…
Current mood: accomplished
1. I raised pigs when I was in my early teens. I lived in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of soybean fields in South Carolina. I had two, a male and a female. They got loose during Hurricane Hugo. I’ve heard that they went wild in the woods with little baby piggies.
2. When I was younger than that in California, in the Los Angeles suburbs, we had some chickens – Rhode Island reds if I remember correctly. They got loose too, and my dog bit their heads off. They flapped around upside down headless for a while before finally dropping dead.
3. When I release my first country music album, my first single off of it will be “Wearing Camo in Carolina.”
4. I can’t really sing. (So I should fit in well in the country music business.)
5. I just want to be loved, is that so wrong?
6. Most of all, I just want to be inspired.
7. The future really freaks me out.
8. I have business cards for the first time in my life. I gave out my first one last Friday.
9. I’m a pirate. Arrrr.
10. I’m pretty sure if given the chance, I could be a writer for a kick ass adult swim cartoon.
11. Sometimes I wish I lived in the time of suits and hats.
12. The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer is one of my favorite movies.
13. I would love to have a countdown clock like the have in the bunker on Lost. I would sit it above the computer on my desk. Can someone make me one?
14. Current TV pleasures (most programmed into my newfangled DVR): Lost, Veronica Mars, Smallville, House, 24, Grey’s Anatomy, American Idol, Survivor, Mythbusters, Monster House, Cash Cab, It Takes a Thief.
15. Favorite people right now – in no particular order: Aimee, Ronda, Sarah, Lindsay, Merita, Robin, Erin, Erica. If you’re not on the list, sorry, but try harder.
16. Sometimes I go through a whole day at work without taking my phone off forward. Not on purpose. I just forget.
17. I wish that there was background music in my cubeworld. I don’t care what, just something in the background. I hesitate to bring speakers for music so I don’t offend or annoy.
18. I just drank some Orange & Spice herb tea. It was so good, I didn’t care that there was no caffeine.
19. I get really tired after eating lunch.
20. I like naps.
21. I would like a red swingline stapler.
22. I like to play practical jokes, but I wonder why they are “practical.”
23. I would like a pet hedgehog.
24. I want to go on a road trip.
25. I would like to go to Key West.
26. And Mardi Gras.
27. If I had a million dollars, I would do nothing.
28. I don’t like nuts, but I’m finding almonds to be tasty. Especially when inside M&M’s. But I like roasted/salted ones too.
29. Olives, cauliflower, and most squashes are gross.
30. I only eat tomatoes on burgers and sandwiches, though I’d prefer them without.
31. I should paint more.
32. I should start running again and get in shape.
33. I don’t think I’ve EVER been “in shape.”
34. I remember when candy bars cost a quarter and phone calls were a dime.
35. The first time I really lived away from home was on the Walt Disney World College Program. Hardly anyone had cell phones then. Now everyone has cell phones. It seems like being away from home isn’t a big deal anymore.
36. I failed my driving test my first time because I drove too fast.
37. There are several people I have crushes on. I wonder if they know who they are. I’m sure they do. I wear my feelings on my sleeve.
38. I wonder if there’s such a thing as a soul mate. Is there a difference in finding a soul mate and finding your very best friend?
39. I like the Muppets.
40. I like the songs that Brak sings.
41. I get lots of e-mails. Like 50+ work related e-mails today in 6 hours. (And if you count the social ones…woo boy howdy.)
42. Thanks to Nikki, every song I hear, my mind tries to relate to Lost. It’s not necessarily a bad thing – it’s kinda fun.
43. It’s not really fun to be a Myspace friend to a band that has 19763 other friends. But it’s kinda cool when a band with only 36 friends asks you to be their friend, and you actually like their music.
44. I’m a BzzzAgent, and they’re sending me a box of Take 5 candy bars for free so I can generate buzz about it.
45. I did a similar thing for the Chronicles of Narnia, and got cool swag.
46. I think Kevin Smith should play me in a movie about me. He would have to direct.
47. I still have no idea how someone can write a children’s book about the Seven Deadly Sins. The only thing I think of when I think about it are the homunculus from Full Metal Alchemist.
48. I buy cheap groceries at the Dollar General Market. Is that ghetto?
49. I think the thought of playing Playstation for me is more fun than actually playing it. Except Katamari Damacy, of course. Oh, and Taiko Drum Master. Gotta love cheesy Japanese games.)
50. I think Parker Posey is cute.