If I had a (school supply) , I could (verb) .
How would you fill in those blanks?
That’s what A Gift for Teaching is challenging you to ask yourself during the 2011 PUSH campaign that’s going on this month. When given the right tools, a child’s potential is limitless.
I would fill in the blanks as:
If I had a book , I could go on an adventure !
When I was growing up, I loved books… and I still love books!
I love that books can take me to other worlds.
I love that books can let me experience things I’d never do in real life.
I love that books let me use my imagination.
I love that books inspire me to write.
Here are some books that meant a lot to me when I was a kid, in order of influence.
- Any of the Little Golden Books, like The Little Red Caboose
- Winnie the Pooh books
- Everything by Dr. Seuss
- Beverly Cleary books like Ralph S. Mouse, The Mouse and The Motorcycle and all of the Hennry Huggins books
- Lloyd Alexander’s The Chronicles of Prydain, on which Disney based The Black Cauldron
- C.S. Lewis books (Narnia and his space trilogy)
- Anything by Stephen R. Lawhead
- John Steinbeck’s The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights
- Everything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez